Useful links

British Institute of Human Rights’ Resources

Please remember that BIHR does not provide legal advice or individual casework advice or support. If you are looking for help please check out our signposting suggestions here.

For videos about how human rights work in practice please visit our YouTube page.

Tel: 0207 8825 5850

BIHR have a range of resources that you can download or order from our website.

Titles include:

Mental Health and Mental Capacity – your human rights

Mental Health, Mental Capacity and Human Rights – practitioner toolkits

Learning Disability, Autism and Human Rights

Hospital Discharge on Human Rights

Human Rights Posters

You can contact BIHR’s training and consultancy services for more information on the support we can provide for advocacy groups and service providers to upskill staff, patients, and service users to know, use and protect their human rights. Please contact us on

Other Resources


Liberty’s Human Rights Information Line provides free legal information in response to questions about public law and human rights law within England and Wales. They cannot provide specific legal advice on an ongoing legal case, but will do their best to explain the legal background to your situation and offer some practical next steps.

Advice and Information – Contact us – Liberty (

Tel: 0800 988 8177

Monday & Thursday: 6pm to 8pm
Tuesday: 12pm to 2pm

Citizens Advice
Citizens Advice provides advice in person, over the phone and by web chat

Tel: 03444 111 444

Text phone: 03444 111 445

Advice UK
Advice UK are not an advice giving organisation but has a directory of advice services. Find a service on their website

Healthwatch England
Healthwatch England are an independent body that aims to be the ‘patient voice’ in health and social care.

Tel: 0845 123 2307

Tel: 03000 683 000

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman looks into complaints that have not been resolved by the NHS in England and UK government departments and other UK public organisations.

Tel: 0345 015 4033

Mon – Fri 8:30am to 5:30 pm

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman
The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman looks into complaints about councils all adult social care providers (including care homes and home care agencies) and some other organisations providing local public services.

Tel: 0300 061 0614
Mon – Fri 8:30am to 5pm

Care Quality Commission (CQC)
The Care Quality Commission is an independent organisation which makes sure health and social care services in England are providing a good service and are meeting national standard

Tel: 03000 616161

Law Centres Network
Law Centres provide free and independent legal advice to people who cannot afford a lawyer. The network does not provide legal advice itself, but can provide contact details for your nearest centre.

Tel: 020 3637 1330

Skip to toolbar